I get a little nostalgic for the Nordstrom Sale. I remember going to it with my mom growing up and picking something special. I still have a few pieces that have stood the test of time from sales of long ago. And to be honest, I am not as loyal of a Nordstrom fan as I once was, but the sale is always fun to browse and possibly find the next piece I will covet for a long time. Here are my picks for the sale that opens today!
Though the world is just not itself right now, it appears as if most are making the best of it. From backyard baby pool parties with the littles to lake house getaways with grandparents to cross country road trips to see the sights, I am loving the optimism in an absolutely insanely crappy situation. So your pool dips may be only with your kids and your neighbors pool is the only one you are having beers at, there is still lots of reasons for a cute one piece and a cover up to sport. I have been hunting for good one pieces for months and landed on a few I like a lot, plus all these covers up make them an actual outfit you could stroll the neighbor hood in. So cheers to Summer, whatever you are making of it.
It has been HOT here and the thought of wearing anything besides a light, breezy dress seems miserable. There is no outfit that makes someone feel better than a dress you can throw on with your favorite sandals and simply walk out the door. There are so many sweet ones right now and the best part is they are budget friendly. Here are some current favorites...
It is tough to picture the Fourth of July without all the usual gatherings that we look forward to all year long. Quite frankly it is one of my favorite week's in my hometown. But if the pandemic has taught us anything it is to make the best of what you are given and be grateful for what you do have. Celebrating our freedoms and rocking Stars and Stripes can still happen without all the large gatherings (sigh the parade). So here are some sweet finds for everyone in the family so you can show your pride and cheers to the fourth in all your glory.
The roller coaster that was quarantine was quite frankly the strangest time. It was all things scary, confusing, and sad and at the same time, it had a lot of love in it since we were all forced to slow down and be a family unit every minute of the day as the world stopped around us. I am going to take a lot with me forward from that time, but only the good parts. Like slowing our lives down, not being so scheduled, and really having the time to cook and be more creative in the kitchen. I found myself not turning to retail therapy much during quarantine. Probably because there wasn't much time for it between my kids 1000 zoom calls and the 4pm happy hour that was absolutely necessary each day. But I did get a few things that I am still loving and thought you might like too.
1. I want all things to be comfy and breezy and this Xirena is exactly that. This one is almost the same one!
2. I read a few books, but The Dutch House was my favorite by far. Currently listening to this on my audible.
3. This bath soak feels like heaven and legit feels like you had a martini after
4. Target NAILED IT with this dress. Comes in other colors too
7. I have long loved Milk Street recipes and finally paid the very small fee to subscribe. The recipes have all been incredible and helped me mix things up
8. You all know I love the Vintner's Daughter serum, but I recently splurged on the essence and the two have become my morning indulgence. My skin has definitely improved and the ritual is my favorite part of waking up
9. If I could have a faucet of Watermelon La Croix that would be helpful. I am drinking it plain, mixing it with tequila, and adding it to rose spritzers.
10. I went through two of these Glossier Moon Masks in the last few months. When my skin feels at all dehydrated, this instantly fixes it and makes my skin so smooth
11. Amazon find for the win. Generally only wearing this around the house and beyond all summer
12. When I saw my lovely friend with this Target sweatshirt on I thought it was a pricey Shopbop find! It is the best quality and comes in lots of colors. So cute with denim or white shorts.
13. Cute golf clothes are impossible to find, but I got two Foray outfits, including this skirt and I actually excited to play more this Summer
14. I have long wanted these leopard clogs and with all the sales I finally pulled the trigger. So comfy
I created a new page on the blog, My Favorite Things, where you can find all the things I am wearing and using and eating currently. Thought one place for my staples I love would be helpful.
There is no time we need the outdoors more than now. And saying "go play outside" is what might keep us all sane quite frankly. So I put together some ways to entertain the kids and get them out of the house, hopefully for hours. Most of these I can speak to as real successes my children have used through the years and others that I think we need this summer!
1. A sweet gardening kit you can paint and then watch the flowers grow. $30
2. I LOVED this table when the kids were little. Great for meals, crafts, and slime making. $167
3. This jeep has stood the test of time and can handle going in the grass. $219
As things begin to slowly bloom and the sun lingers longer into the evening, is there anything better than being able to finally be outdoors? Since it appears we will be spending a lot of time at home this spring and possibly summer (eek!), updates to the patio are well worth it. And given the sales retailers are having, it is a good time to take advantage since patio furniture can be so pricey.
I pulled some beautiful sets that are all on sale, planters just shouting for flowers, and some fun accessory items that will make you smile.
Right now we are lucky if we change out of pajamas for the day. I am currently wearing the same sweatsuit I wore last night, mostly because it is soft and sweet and makes me happy. Having something else in the rotation that is easy to throw, comfy, and will be worn when the world opens up again (when will that be?!!) would be nice. A jumpsuit is no new concept, but one that is soft and loose and will make you feel human may be something missing. I pulled some long and shirt options.
First day of school back from "Spring Break" and I have to say that things are not going great. As a mom my patience is worn thin most days and as a TEACHER, well let's just say I would be fired pretty quick from the real gig. Settling in with the fact that this is all happening and has become what our day will be, quite possibly for the entire rest of the year. So keep calm and hang in there mamas.
In the meantime, here are some things keeping me sane, entertained, my home school running, and well fed...
1. You know how I feel about a sweatsuit, but can I make a case for the house dress?! Living in this Amazon one that comes in a bunch of colors. $28
2. Since I am now within steps of my pantry AT ALL TIMES (ugh) I am trying to find alternatives to my favorite chips for snacking. These truffle almonds are AMAZING $4
3. Easter celebrations will look a lot different this year, but this sweet bunny wreath can make any room feel sweet and springy $28
4. Games everyone in the family can play is hard. One of my personal favorites is on heavy rotation here, Mexican Train Dominos. Even my 6 year old is into and won some rounds! $26
5. I barely have craft materials around, so school materials are non existent. I just ordered this dual sided white board for the kids schedule and to work on school work. $28
7. I am still without fancy AirPods, so I have one or both of these ear buds in most of the time. Great for calls, sneaking a show while the kids are doing school work, or listening to podcasts while folding laundry. $29
8. If you stick this hydrating and soothing mask in the fridge and slather it on after washing your face you will 1000% feel like life grand. And bonus it makes your skin plump up and glow. $22
9. I wore out my first pair of these slippers which are on my feet 24/7 at this point. Worth every penny and the coziest without being too hot. $59
10. I posted this recipe on my Instagram, but it deserves a double post. It was incredible and I slurped up the sauce for days.
11. A gallery wall project could be a fun way to stay busy at home (you know, in between TEACHING SOCIAL STUDIES! and these frames are all on sale. Print the photos through the Walgreens app for pick up.
How is everyone doing? I know it is crazy we are all locked up at home, so I hope you are able to relax your mind during this anxiety ridden time.
I am trying to just focus on the day at hand and remember that Home Sweet Home is exactly the same as it was before this happened. A safe place for my family to be and enjoy every inch of. And after we emerge from this scary time, I hope to remember that same sentiment.
Before this the world was feeling a little too gogogo and we were always preparing for for the next activity/event/game/etc, not a lot of focus on staying home. I am mourning the loss of all those social and physical meetings right now, but recognizing that a bit more quality time in the space we have all created for our families is something to hold close once the world opens up again.
I am really hoping you all are staying healthy and mentally happy right now, I know it is really hard.
So for some mindless retail therapy (which always is nice escape), I rounded up all the best retail sales from the places we live to shop.
Well here we are. These are crazy times friends, but like everyone is saying let's just do what is best and hope for the best. And while embracing the family time is so great, there WILL be moments that you are going to lose it and feel completely overwhelmed/stressed/anxious/sad.
So let's prepare for that and surround ourselves in a few things to make this time great.
Getting outside, cooking more (or at least attempting!), listening/reading interesting things (minimum scrolling!), and staying in touch with friends through it all will make for a better time.
Here are some essentials that I think will keep me cozy, sane, and happy that I thought you would like to.
J. Crew is having a one day sale and 40% off almost every item on the site today! Use code 23HOURS at checkout. How perfect is this timing as Spring Break is just weeks away and in my opinion, they make the best swimsuits. I have bought others, but I always go back to J. Crew for the quality, fit, and sweet styles. Here are all my picks that would be perfect to pack in your bags for your getaway! I know I am stocking up...
I am having all the love for the sunshine and slightly warmer temps and I know that it is giving everyone a little Spring Fever. The actual Spring might be a little farther away than we would like, but soon friends, soon! Everything looks a little better come March and if you are like me or anyone I know, we are all in much need of the uplift of some extra Vitamin D.
Shopbop is having their big Spring sale and almost the entire site is included (use code SPRING at checkout)! I picked all the best out to help us satisfy this fever and be ready for when it hits above 60 degrees.
You know the power players on your vanity when you have to decide what to bring with you when you travel. I had limited time to make the decisions, but I know that hydration and protection were at the top of my list. My skin always gets ravaged after being on planes and any change in climate is immediately shown all over my face. Here are the all star products that were worth hauling around with me and I used each and every day.
I would slather on the the Vintner's Daughter every morning and let sink in. It really helps with inflammation and redness and provides additional moisture in the AM (ps: that bottle lasts a long time). Then I would slather on the SPF and enjoy the day.
At night after cleansing, I would dab on the Lotion P50 (Glossier makes a great similar product) to tone and balance, then smooth on some the Ordinary Serum for extra plump/moisture. My favorite is slathering on a good amount of the Creme Masque Vernix that has honestly changed the tone of my skin. Then a little mini eye massage with the eye cream and dab on lips.
Locals, if you are interested in the Biologique Recherche products, I highly recommend going to Wellness for Eternity for a consult and purchasing there.
There were so many questions on the pink and red bikini I wore so I wanted to post it here. Plus I rounded up lots of red and pink one piece and other bikini options so there is something for everyone.
This color combo has been all over the red carpet and is obviously perfectly fit for this week.
This lady has not seen the sun in a looooong time, but luckily that all changes very soon. An adult only get away at that, which makes it an actual vacation. It should be no surprise that I have been packing for this trip for a solid month during the longest January ever and everything is cheery, floral, and rainbow. Because if I am going to be soaking up island life, I am going all out before I return to the gray.