I know I am not the only one with a high school reunion this month and it is kind of fun. Not the part that it has been fifteen (15!) years since I graduated from the Home of the Broncos, but the part about how people you once spent four years of your life with still want to get together after all these years. My father still gets together with his grammar school buddies and he is in his seventies. Bonds like that make me so happy and I can only hope that mine will be just as strong.
There are plenty of things that I miss from high school. Hanging out at our lockers, after school drives through the Hills, Friday night football games (and the parties following), dance class with all my favorites, and eighth hour open. The fashion though, not so much.
The funny thing is though that a lot of my favorite Fall pieces are straight out of the nineties. A more refined and chic version thank goodness, but certainly a nod to the glory days.
Clueless has to be on my top ten favorite movies. Cher was so cool. When you look at her outfits now, they had this whole school girl vibe, albeit one straight from Contempo Casuals.
I wish I could still pull off knee socks, but instead here are some ways to channel Cher this season.
1. The Olson twins must be Clueless fans too. This screams Cher. Elizabeth & James $325
2. These Mary Janes are way better than Cher's and would last forever. Manolo Blahnik $745
3. Trade Cher's beret for a slouchy beanie. Plush $48
4. Buffalo check was huge on the Fall runways. I am obsessed with the cut of this jacket too. BB Dakota $105
5. A tweed mini with black tights is pretty timeless. Topshop $68
Beyonce really used to show some swagger in her Hilfiger wear. It is a far cry from her current couture closet, but it is so great to remember where it all began. Tommy Hilfiger was the label in the nineties. Everyone wanted that little red white and blue flag on their shirt. Or jeans, Or jacket.
Red, white, and blue is not just for July and there are some great ways to pull it off for day or night.
1. How pretty is this pleated midi skirt in cobalt? Asos $66
2. What could be more nineties than a bodysuit? and I kind of want one for outfits just like this. Indah $52
3. Red is such a statement in a shoe and I worship the shape of these Joie booties. $315
4. This crisp white duffel coat is gorgeous. Asos $114
5. Love a good gingham. Wear this over legging or skinnies, the length is perfect. Madewell $74
6. A classic sneak in red is fun. Superga $65
This throwback made me laugh so hard. Do you remember how everyone was either wearing a North Face tee shirt or one of these Banana ones? Why or why?
There are some cuter animal options these days...
1. This Wildfox sweater shirt is insanely soft. The writing says "I want one." lol $108
2. You do some good with this elephant tee from J. Crew. Proceeds go to a Wildlife Trust. $47
3. This deer jumper is adorable. French Connection $150
I watch Empire Records every freaking time it is on. Cannot resist it and the fashion is amazing. It was a mix of that grunge and school girl thing that we all copied so much.
While grunge/school girl is far from my comfort zone now, mixing in some updated, more refined pieces is perfect.
1. Throw a belt over this shirt dress and you have the perfect update on the grunge fanned trend. Madewell $74
2. A much classier version of the pleated mini. Parker $209
3. Polished, but with a edge. These skinnies are so great and flattering. Madewell $128
4. Cropped sweaters that come with a sweater underneath is perfect for over thirty year olds. Or really anyone. Elizabeth & James $365
Hope you liked that trip down memory lane. What trend are you going to try and sport?